2017 Supporting the Development of Functional Communication
Parents & Caregivers
Full fee: S$78 per participant
CTG Co-Payment: S$10 per caregiver
(inclusive of GST, handout materials and refreshments)
This Functional Communication workshop follows on from the very popular Foundations of Successful Communication skills workshop held on 29 July 2017.
What is Functional Communication?
All communication has a function or reason. We learn different functions of communication as our skills in social interaction and language develop.
Early functions of communication include the ability to make choices, ask for ‘more’, make requests, protest or refuse, ask for help, answer and ask questions.
Teaching functional communication is important. It can help the learner to be more spontaneous, flexible and independent in communicating personal needs, desires, and ideas. It can also reduce the frequency of communication breakdowns.
In this workshop carers and educators will be guided to develop skills in functional communication by:
- Targeting priority Functions of Communication
- Actively supporting expressive communication using visual supports
- Creating teaching and practice opportunities in daily routines
Upon completion of the training workshop, participants will be able to:
- Describe Communication Functions and how they develop
- Understand how autism impacts communication development
- Support and teach functional communication using autism-friendly strategies
- Parents, Caregivers, Educators, Therapists and Autism Professionals who are supporting learners with autism at the beginning level (pre-speech) or basic level (starting to use single words, combination of words using speech, gestures, symbols or assistive technology).
- Learners would routinely be attending EIP, Pre-school, Special Education Schools or Day Activity Centres.
CTG Application Form (Click to download the form)
Registration Closing Date 31st August 17
Mr Tan Qiu Quan, Ms Lina Kam, Training Coordinator