2018 HIGHER CERTIFICATE IN AUTISM (MODULE 3/3): TEACHING 'HIDDEN CURRICULUM TO INDIVIDUALS WITH AUTISM
S$1,284 per participant
The Higher Certificate in Autism is an application programme that leads to certification and is designed for practitioners (teachers, educators, therapists and other professionals) who work directly with individuals with an Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD).
It has been developed by a team of highly experienced and dedicated professionals from various disciplines in Singapore and Australia.
The Higher Certificate in Autism aims to equip participants with a high degree of skill and independence in effective application of intervention frameworks and systematic development of strategies in the areas of behaviour management, language and communication as well as social skills in individuals with autism. Participants will be taught how to develop and apply these intervention frameworks through the process of:
- Understanding, assessing and analysing needs
- Setting goals and objectives based on the specific needs of the individual
- Creating and crafting individualised intervention strategies that are both developmentally-appropriate and age-appropriate
- Planning and implementing intervention strategies
- Reviewing and evaluating the effectiveness of the strategies
The key differentiators of this programme are that it is skills-based and is developed and taught by practitioners who work “hands-on” with individuals with autism and who understand the challenges of learning and application of skills within the Singapore context.
This programme comprises 3 main modules:
- Module 1 – Communication In Autism
- Module 2 - Managing and Shaping Behaviour in Individuals with an Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Module 3 - Teaching the ‘Hidden’ Curriculum to Individuals with Autism
Module 3 provides participants with the knowledge, skills and tools to develop strategies and implement action plans that teach students with autism the required skills to replace existing inappropriate behaviours so they can meet the daily demands of social interaction and self-regulation. This module is designed to provide participants with an insight into how Autism Spectrum Disorder impacts our understanding and teaching of appropriate alternative replacement behaviours.
The Higher Certificate in Autism is designed to empower participants to work successfully with a high degree of independence to effectively support individuals with autism in the following ways:
- Gain the necessary knowledge and skills to independently perform individualised assessment and screening of the needs of individuals with autism in the areas of behaviour management, language and communication and social interaction
- Acquire knowledge and skills to select goals and craft meaningful intervention plans with strategies that are age-appropriate and developmentally-suited to each individual with autism
- Create and develop a selection of appropriate tools to teach positive behaviour to individuals with autism as well as to improve and enhance their language, communication and social skills
For admission into this programme, applicants must meet ALL the following requirements:
- Successfully completed and awarded the ‘Certificate In Autism’ by Autism Resource Centre (Singapore)
- Attained the minimum qualification of Certificate in Special Education, its equivalent, or three (3) GCE “O” Level passes (Grade C6 and above), including English Language
- Have at least three (3) months’ relevant experience in working directly with individuals with autism
- Currently working with or providing services to an individual with autism (cannot be your own or your relative’s child)
- Will continue to work with the same individual throughout the course duration
Teachers/Educators, Therapists and other Professionals working with individuals with an Autism Spectrum Disorder (Pre-school, Primary, Secondary or Special Education Schools)
June – 25
July – 09, 16, 23 & 30
August – 06 & 13
July – 03
Autism Resource Centre (Singapore), in partnership with Social Service Institute, will award a certificate to participants who have successfully completed all three (3) modules of the training programme and passed all assessments.
- Participants are allowed a period of 2 years (till 2019) to complete all 3 modules of the training programme.
- Pending pre-approval of VCF subsidy
- Fees include GST, handout materials and refreshments
- Registration closing date: 04 Jan 18
click here for full couse details.
Mr Tan Qiu Quan, Ms Lina Kam, Training Coordinator