2018 CERTIFICATE IN AUTISM - EARLY INTERVENTION PROGRAMME (JUNE INTAKE)
Full Course Fee: S$2,568 per participant
with pre-approved VCF subsidy (applicable to eligible NCSS Member/MSF-funded VWO participants only)
- S$1,608 per participant (Singaporean / PR)
- S$1,800 per participant (Employment Pass Holder)
This is an application programme that is developed by a team of highly experienced and dedicated professionals from various disciplines. The Certificate in Autism focuses on building skills which enables a practitioner or parent/caregiver to work more effectively with young children with autism.
The key differentiators of this programme are that it is skills-based and is developed and taught by practitioners who work hands-on with young children with autism and who understand the challenges of learning and application of skills within the Singapore context.
The programme is designed to bridge the “knowing-doing” gap by adopting a highly “hands-on” approach to learning. Participants will be expected to translate theoretical frameworks into a practical model, which directs them to analyse needs, select priority goals and design individualised methodology to teach young children (with autism) with varying needs and experiences.
- Overview of Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) and the unique learning needs, challenges and opportunities for young children with autism
- Overview of intervention strategies for young children with autism
- The ICEBERG framework and its application
- Teaching and supporting young children with autism through:
- Structuring the learning environment – physical structure
- Development and application of visual tools and visual supports
- Use of schedules, work systems and prompting
- Explicit Teaching Strategies and its application
- Understanding sensory issues and strategies to accommodate
This training programme is designed to empower participants with the knowledge and skills so that they can:
- Understand the Culture of Autism and associated learning theories
- Describe the key learning characteristics of young children with autism and differences in their learning styles
- Prepare a conducive and autism-friendly learning environment that is developmentally-appropriate and meets the specific needs of the young child with autism
- Apply Explicit Teaching Principles including identifying and task-analysing learning goal
For admission into this programme, applicants must meet ALL the following requirements:
- Attained the minimum qualification of Certificate in Special Education, its equivalent, or three (3) GCE “O” Level passes (Grade C6 and above), including English Language
- Have at least three (3) months’ relevant experience in working directly with individuals with autism
- Currently working with or providing services to an individual with autism (cannot be your own or your relative’s child)
- Will continue to work with the same individual throughout the course duration
Teachers/Educators, Therapists & other professionals working with young children (pre-school age) with an Autism Spectrum Disorder
Saturday (9am to 5pm):
June – 30
Fridays (5.30pm to 9pm):
Jul – 06, 13, 20 & 27
Aug – 03 & 24
Sept – 14, 21 & 28
Oct – 12, 19 & 26
Autism Resource Centre (Singapore), in partnership with Social Service Institute, will award a certificate to participants who have successfully completed the training programme and passed all assessments.
- Fees include GST, handout materials and refreshments
- Registration Closing Date: 10 May 18
Click here to view the full course details.
Mr Tan Qiu Quan, Ms Lina Kam, Training Coordinator