2020 HIGHER CERTIFICATE IN AUTISM (MODULE 2/3): MANAGING AND SHAPING BEHAVIOUR IN INDIVIDUALS WITH AN AUTISM SPECTRUM DISORDER (ASD)
S$1,284 per participant
The Higher Certificate in Autism is an application programme that leads to certification and is designed for practitioners (teachers, educators, therapists and other professionals) who work directly with individuals with an Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD).
It has been developed by a team of highly experienced and dedicated professionals from various disciplines in Singapore and Australia.
The Higher Certificate in Autism aims to equip participants with a high degree of skill and independence in effective application of intervention frameworks and systematic development of strategies in the areas of behaviour management, language and communication as well as social skills in individuals with autism. Participants will be taught how to develop and apply these intervention frameworks through the process of:
- Understanding, assessing and analysing needs
- Setting goals and objectives based on the specific needs of the individual
- Creating and crafting individualised intervention strategies that are both developmentally-appropriate and age-appropriate
- Planning and implementing intervention strategies
- Reviewing and evaluating the effectiveness of the strategies
The key differentiators of this programme are that it is skills-based and is developed and taught by practitioners who work “hands-on” with individuals with autism and who understand the challenges of learning and application of skills within the Singapore context.
This programme comprises 3 main modules:
- Module 1 - Communication in Autism
- Module 2 – Managing and Shaping Behaviour in Individuals with an Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Module 3 - Teaching the ‘Hidden’ Curriculum to Individuals with an Autism Spectrum Disorder
Module 2 provides participants with an understanding of behaviour and the common causes of behaviour problems as well as an insight into how Autism Spectrum Disorder impacts our understanding and management of behavioural challenges in individuals with autism. Participants will be taught the relevant knowledge, skills and tools to develop strategies and implement action plans for students with autism who present with behavioural challenges.
The Higher Certificate in Autism is designed to empower participants to work successfully with a high degree of independence to effectively support individuals with autism in the following ways:
- Gain the necessary knowledge and skills to independently perform individualised assessment and screening of the needs of individuals with autism in the areas of behaviour management, language and communication and social interaction
- Acquire knowledge and skills to select goals and craft meaningful intervention plans with strategies that are age-appropriate and developmentally-suited to each individual with autism
- Create and develop a selection of appropriate tools to teach positive behaviour to individuals with autism as well as to improve and enhance their language, communication and social skills
For admission into this programme, applicants must meet ALL the following requirements:
- Successfully completed and awarded the ‘Certificate In Autism’ by Autism Resource Centre (Singapore)
- Attained the minimum qualification of Certificate in Special Education, its equivalent, or three (3) GCE “O” Level passes (Grade C6 and above), including English Language
- Have at least three (3) months’ relevant experience in working directly with individuals with autism
- Currently working with or providing services to an individual with autism (cannot be your own or your relative’s child);
- Will continue to work with the same individual throughout the course duration
Teachers/Educators, Therapists and other Professionals working with individuals with Autism
Lectures Schedule for HCIA Module 2:
Lecture 1 & 2 - 08 Feb (Sat), 9am to 4pm
Lecture 3 - 10 Feb (Mon), 6pm to 9pm
Lecture 4 - 17 Feb (Mon), 6pm to 9pm
Lecture 5 - 24 Feb (Mon), 6pm to 9pm
Lecture 6 - 02 Mar (Mon), 6pm to 9pm
Lecture 7 - 09 Mar (Mon), 6pm to 9pm
Lecture 8 - 23 Mar (Mon), 6pm to 9pm
Autism Resource Centre (Singapore) will award a certificate to participants who have successfully completed all three (3) modules of the training programme and passed all assessments.
- Participants are allowed a period of 2 years (till 2021) to complete all 3 modules of the training programme.
- Pending pre-approval of VCF subsidy
- Fees include GST, handout materials and refreshments
- Selection of applications is not based on first-come-first-serve basis
- Registration closing date: 15 Jan 20
Mr Tan Qiu Quan, Ms Lina Kam, Training Coordinator