2020 PREPARING FOR PRIMARY ONE – STRATEGIES AND APPLICATIONS SERIES: READING AND SPELLING
Target AudienceParents & Caregivers
Full fee: S$78.00 per participant
Pending for Pre-approved Caregiver Training Grant (CTG)
(inclusive of GST, handout materials and refreshments)
Reading for meaning or reading comprehension is an area of difficulty for some children with autism.
A shared reading approach known as Dialogic Reading (DR) uses specific prompts to encourage an interactive dialogue to enhance the oral language skills necessary for future reading comprehension. DR has been adapted to include specific prompts to elicit joint attention and interaction with children with autism.
‘Backward Chaining’ and ‘Look Say Cover Write Check (LSCWC)’ are two strategies that are used to teach the child spelling in a way that encourages self-checking and evaluation. Backward Chaining minimizes mistakes and allows the child to have the immediate satisfaction of completing the task which provides a natural reinforcement. LSCWC uses a systematic approach and is able to incorporate multisensory strategies.
This training includes watching videos or demonstrations of the approaches / strategies. Participants will also get to practice the strategies with feedback provided
Upon completion of the training workshop, participants will be able to:
- Understanding the learning strengths and difficulties of young children with autism
- Understand key tools and strategies to support learning
- Application of tools and strategies to leverage on the child’s strength to support his/her learning
Parents and Caregivers:
- Planning to enrol their child with autism in a mainstream Primary School
- Whose child with autism is currently in lower primary in a mainstream school
- Whose child with autism is currently in junior years in a special education school
In view of the current COVID-19 situation, Autism Resource Centre (S) will be implementing a series of precautionary measures at our premises. Visitors are required have their temperature taken and to complete health/travel declaration before entering to our premises.
Closing Date: 17 April 2020
Mr Tan Qiu Quan, Ms Lina Kam, Training Coordinator