2021 EMPOWERED LEARNING SERIES: SUPPORTING BEHAVIOUR USING THE ICEBERG THINKING STEPS (ONLINE)
Full fee: S$535.00 per participant
(inclusive of GST and handout materials)
(Learn this 5-step thinking process designed help provide a systemic process of problem-solving behavioural challenges in Autistic Students in Special School)
Every encounter with challenging behavior is a distressing one, especially for the individual faced with the behavior(s).
While professionals are often left feeling frustrated and ill-equipped, many such behaviors are often an expression of unmet needs for the autistic students.
Every encounter can be used as an opportunity for us to learn more about the autistic student(s) and help professionals improve their skills to provide better support.
The “Ice-Berg Thinking Steps” is a 5-step thinking process, designed to empower you with a systematic process of problem solving these behavioral challenges.
With 3 sessions conducted 2 weeks apart, this allows participants to implement the strategies discussed, ascertain its effectiveness and review in subsequent sessions for further improvement.
Session 1 – Presentation of the Iceberg Thinking Steps process through an interactive lecture (using a case study).
- Understand the Iceberg Thinking Steps
- Apply the Iceberg Thinking Steps to gain insight into behaviour that challenges
Session 2 – Sharing of your own case study, applying the Iceberg thinking steps to generate strategies.
- Apply the Iceberg Thinking Steps to craft an action plan to support behaviour that challenges
- Enhance the application of Structured Teaching principles to support behaviour that challenges
Session 3 – Sharing application of strategies, reviewing progress, problem solving and discussions on next steps.
- To extend learning from session 2
- To review the action plan
Upon completion of the training workshop, participants will be able to:
- Acquire a thinking tool to help to be more effective in working with autistic students. This tool was developed based on evidence informed practice.
- Apply principles of Positive Behavior Support and Functional Behavior Analysis to provide a 1st level analysis of challenging behavior
- Generate initial preventive strategies, teach functional skills related to the challenging behavior
Participants must meet the following requirements:
- Completed the Certificate in Autism conducted by ARC(S)
- Want to expand application to supporting students on the Autism Spectrum who have challenging behaviours
Teachers/Educators, Therapists and other Professionals working with students on the autism spectrum in the Special Education Schools)
Closing date: 21 April 2021
This workshop is conducted virtually via Zoom Platform. Successful registered attendee will receive an email confirmation with zoom meeting ID and password nearer to the start date.
Mr Tan Qiu Quan, Ms Lina Kam, Training Coordinator