2021 EMPOWERED LEARNING SERIES: USING SOCIAL NARRATIVES TO BUILD SOCIAL UNDERSTANDING FOR AUTISTIC INDIVDUALS (ONLINE)
Full Course Fee: S$535 per participant
Pre-approved VCF subsidy (applicable to eligible NCSS Member/MSF-funded SSA participants only)
Individuals on the autism spectrum perceive and experience the world differently. They may respond in ways that others do not expect and may be misunderstood.
“Social Narratives” provide us with an opportunity to address the potential barriers these individuals may face in applying what they have learnt to their real world. These include gaps in social awareness, or low motivation to engage in a situation that may not be very meaningful for them.
The application component of this program will focus on key elements to help the participants to access meaningful information to help and support the individuals on the autism spectrum overcome barriers to learning and applying a new skill.
The 3 sessions, conducted 2 weeks apart, allows participants an opportunity to implement the strategies discussed, ascertain its effectiveness and review in subsequent sessions for further improvement.
Session 1: (11 October 21, Mon) - Introduction
- Brief introduction to the Developmental Pipeline. This enables us to analyse what might be the barrier(s) to an individual learning and using a skill.
- Presentation of samples of social narratives that target different barriers and needs.
Session 2: (25 October 21, Mon) - Sharing of your own case study, and developing a social narrative to target the identified barrier
- Analyse the barrier(s) and key issue(s) using the Developmental Pipeline
- Develop a suitable social narrative with the guidelines provided
Session 3: (08 November 21, Mon) - Sharing application of social narratives, reviewing progress, problem solving and discussions on next steps
- Identify ways to adjust and deliver a social narrative for increased engagement
- Action steps following the introduction of a social narrative.
Upon completion of the training workshop, participants will be able to:
- Identify the possible barriers and issues affecting learning and use of social skills
- Apply the guidelines to develop effective social narratives to enhance social understanding
Teachers/Educators, Therapists and other Professionals working with students on the autism spectrum in Special Education Schools)
Closing date: 23 August 2021
This 3-part workshop is conducted virtually via Zoom Platform. Successful registered attendees will receive an email confirmation with a zoom meeting ID and password closer to the start date.
Mr Tan Qiu Quan, Ms Lina Kam, Training Coordinator